Friday, February 8, 2013

Graduate School Dilemma


This last semester has been an interesting one as I was waiting to figure out more of my future.  I am still not entirely sure but here is one thing that is starting to come together for once: graduate school.  I flew to Carnegie Mellon this year to check out their MSBTM program which would combine my interests of business and engineering into one degree but after going out there for a visit, I realized that it just wasn't the best fit for me.  Since then, I looked at the financial implications of going to somewhere like Berkley or Stanford and those were just going to be too far out of my price range just to purchase a brand name to put on my diploma.  This left me with two more options: BYU and University of Utah.

My Christmas break then consisted of applying to both schools for their dual master's programs.  I want to get both a MBA as well as a Master's in Engineering.  As I have been looking into both schools, they have plenty of great things to offer but since finishing my application, it has been amazing to see how they have responded.  I quite literally have gotten nothing back from BYU.  The school I currently attend has let me know nothing.  Meanwhile, I am here on the University of Utah's campus in a Guest House Suite, a full day of pampering and presentations under my belt on how amazing the MBA program is here, and tomorrow I am being treated to a day of skiing at The Canyons Resort in Park City.  I also got notification today that I have also been accepted by their Master's in Mechanical Engineering program as well.  Before I make any decisions, I will still be patient and see what BYU chooses to do but I have to say that with the offers and acceptances I have gotten from Utah, my alma mater has a serious job ahead of me if they want me to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment