Sunday, May 11, 2014

New Life Lessons

Life is filled with learning experiences. Some struggles I have been able to overcome and some I have carried with me for as long as I remember. However, the ones that I carry, I do my best to learn from them and to use them to help the people I meet. I read once that,
"the people who exhibit the most kindness have experienced a lot of pain. The ones who act like they don't need love, are the ones that need it more. The ones who take care of everyone else's needs are the ones who need it most. And the people who smile a lot may be the ones who cry when there is no one around." - Unknown
 Just the other night a friend of mine told me how she loved that I am always so nice and so happy. Now, I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I am a very self-reflective person. I try my best to learn from my past and apply it to my present. I think this is the reason that I love to learn about psychology. I feel like it is a study of the way people think and how we perceive the world. If we can see things differently or from alternate points of view then we can empathize and understand other people and their realities. Everyone forms their own opinions and thoughts on people, circumstances, events, things, and those opinions are real and true to them and they form their reality. Everyone is different so even though two realities may contrast one another, it doesn't mean that either of them are any less true to that person. Yet, there are some people who look for absolute and fundamental truths. They look for meaning.

Yesterday, I had to take some time to relax from my job search for this summer. I have hit many roadblocks along the way and I am still struggling but I decided that it was going to be a good day for golf. I had some plans originally and when those fell through, I made new ones. And while I was out on the golf course, I got matched up with a man who was raised a Christian but since then had fallen out of his faith and no longer believed in fairy tales. It is hard to help people who don't believe in miracles. The amazing thing is you can see the miracles all around you each and every day. The way that the earth and all life is perfectly in balance, how the world naturally heals itself, and how all manner of life is created from the combining of two microscopic cells. Still, the man I met had so many questions and wasn't looking for answers as much as he was looking to feel peace about his decision.
"Yeah, I always felt a man's grip on his club just like a man's grip on his world..."
I recently watched a few films about golf that have taught me quite a bit. Why do you hold the club a certain way? Why is your stance the way it is? Is it merely because it feels good? The casual comment by a spectator is the thing that will mess with your confidence. We need to have conviction and reasons behind our decisions. The other ways we need to find our game is by finding rhythm, balance, patience, emotional control, and a focus on the feel and not the outcome. I need to visualize my shot and paint a mental picture because our body follows our mind. If we can see ourselves doing it then we can learn how to do it. This creates confidence and a sense of being prepared that allows us to expect the unexpected. This freedom provides a powerful force and yet the greatest trophies we can get in this life are the ones that come from overcoming our own weaknesses and temptations. It is improving ourselves. The way we make the perfect shot is we have to see it, feel it, and trust it.
"Inside each and every one of us is one true authentic swing... Somethin' we was born with... Somethin' that's ours and ours alone... Somethin' that can't be taught to ya or learned... Somethin' that got to be remembered... Over time the world can rob us of that swing... It get buried inside us under all our wouldas and couldas and shouldas... Some folk even forget what their swing was like..."

 Bury the lies and trust in the truths in our lives: faith, relationships, character, and integrity. But trust most in yourself. Take the shot. Don't be afraid to live life. Take the chance. Make the leap.

No comments:

Post a Comment