Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Grint

In case you didn't already know, I am a bit of an avid golfer. I may not be "Lefty" or the "Golden Bear" but I do have a love for the game and it is something that is relaxing for me regardless of my skill. My analytical part of my mind however loves to look at statistics and see if there are specific areas of my game where I should focus on for improvement. My golfing partners would say all of it but the question I wanted answered was what specifically are my greatest strengths and biggest weaknesses. So I looked around and found an interesting mobile app called The Grint.


"Grint" is a term which means to shoot par or better (below par). Par is the average score that an average golfer would shoot on a specific hole. Tonight I finished playing a round of 18 holes and posted my score to the app and began looking at the free statistics that it had calculated. It posted everything from putting, overall score, driving accuracy, statistics for types of holes such as par 3 versus a par 5 hole. It also had statistics for when I shot 9 holes compared to when I shot 18 holes.

9 Holes 18 Holes

Hopefully, I will continue to improve and I thought it was fascinating to see things like I shoot better overall when I play a full round versus 9 holes but my putting doesn't improve. Only my short game and my mid-irons. I tend to hit fairways more often on par 5's versus par 4's. Still, no matter what information I can glean from the game, I feel like I will always have a love for it. It is by far, the greatest game I have ever played.

No comments:

Post a Comment