Friday, May 10, 2013

Ups and Downs of Being "Grown Up"

Really in this post, I am just here to catch up on my life and give a little update on how the big move from college to graduate school is going.  I hate to admit it... LOATHE ENTIRELY... that I am missing Provo.  And it isn't just my friends either.  I miss Provo.  I miss the fact that I had more than just a handful of friends but I could really reach out to almost anyone.  I miss the fact that I had friends that were girls!  Not just girls I could date or ask out on dates but honestly any person of the opposite sex.  In Salt Lake, I am getting to know a few people here and there but when you are putting in about 10 applications daily for internships and you are concentrating on work when you aren't physically working... well all work and no play makes Jordan a grumpy, tired, boring, boy.  Not really though.  I manage.

I figure with enough time, I will find a lot more friends up here in Salt Lake.  I have one right now that I actually met on a double blind date (no joke... neither of us knew the other person because the brother and sister were setting each other up).  I will never do that again because in all honesty I knew better in the first place... Something about the blind leading the blind.  Anyways, his date was cute and I decided that I know pretty much NO ONE up here so I found her on Facebook and we reconnected one night.  We will have to try again soon but I am slowly becoming more and more desperate.  I even have begun considering online dating just to meet people!

But back to my transition from BYU to University of Utah... The nice thing about BYU was pick up games when it came to sports were EVERYWHERE and not just that but I knew the routines.  I knew when and where were best to check.  Up in Salt Lake City, I am still flying blind.  I navigate pretty much every day with my GPS in my car, even if it is just to find groceries or gas.  It is REALLY bad!  I think this is where patience comes into play because just like the social aspects this will all come in time and by continuing to step outside my comfort zone.

On the flip side,  I am realizing that a MBA isn't exactly what it is cracked up to be.  Within a week, I should be done with my math refresher course.  And by math, they aren't meaning math as in what I am used to in engineering with derivatives and integrals that give the common man the shakes or interpolating to approximate answers.  They are talking finance, economics, statistics, and accounting... Out of all of those I remember the very basics from high school and minimally if anything from my statistics class so it has been different to say the least.  But again give it a week and $100 spent and it may just have been worthwhile. Don't even get me started on Week Zero of the MBA... More to come on that one and crossing my fingers that it will be resolved relatively painlessly in about a week as well.

Back to the talk of spending money though, I am also considering purchasing a new laptop because this one I have been using, I think I purchased 4-5 years ago and it has been through A LOT.  I have to wrap my power cord around the screen to get the right angle and tension with the plug to make it charge.  I have a few pixels wide line going down the length of my screen just a tad off center.  And the battery life and speed of the computer in general have both degraded.  So what is a new graduate student to do but buy a new machine!  So if things go according to plan, soon I will have a brand new touch screen monitor Dell Inspiron 15R with Windows 8 and to put it bluntly, a functioning machine!

I really have been running the current one through the ringer with the amount of time I spend on it.  For the last week or two I have been on it non-stop since I have been to Salt Lake.  I haven't spent all of my time up here because I have been applying to the MTC in Provo and spent a few days and nights down there bumping around and applying to things online and looking for employment agencies to drop resumes at.  In what free time I had down in Provo, I ended up seeing a bunch of movies, playing games with friends, caught up with a few people and slept over with some awesome guys.  But back to the worksearch, online has been more fruitful than anything in person because apparently the employment agencies should be looking for employment.  They all either moved out of their offices or closed.  The best decision I made was to check in on a connection I had made through LinkedIn about a year ago with this faculty member at BYU.

This man works to create a BYU Alumni Networking Site where recent graduates can reach out and connect to alumni from BYU to seek advice, find employment, etc.  And surprisingly and by some miracle, IT ACTUALLY WORKS!  Last night, I was contacted by two different individuals from companies that I had applied to online where I had an Executive of one of the world's largest PC manufacturers and vendors call me and ask me to email him my resume so he could personally deliver it to the proper person's desk and I got an email from a VP of a multinational investment banking firm wanting to schedule a phone call for tomorrow to discuss my application to his local branch.  Honestly, I am not sure why I am surprised because every job I have gotten has been through networking but I didn't know that "blind" networking through college alum did the trick.  I thought it was going to just be a shot in the dark honestly!  But still, I haven't gotten an interview with some in the position to hire me yet so really all it has done is get me excited and put someone else with name and a face attached to my application but it is a definite start.

Since I don't know where I am working yet, I haven't really unpacked either.  I unpacked my clothes and my hygiene necessities and my laptop so I could work... But really everything else is just a bunch of bins stacked all over my small room waiting for me to purchase a desk to put stuff on and organize all of my junk.  I was talking to one of my roommates today and I think he said it best because this apartment for how nice it is... It is relatively small and it costs more than any place I have ever lived before and probably costs more than it should.  Sugar house is a nice area in Salt Lake so I will give it that but really I should try and see what other options are available because thank goodness my contract is on a month-to-month basis.  My roommates are nice!  Don't get me wrong.  We can have conversations and communicate and they are clean and respectful.  But I guess it is the whole grass is always greener on the other side of the fence and I don't know really what else is out there.

So this is what grown up life is like for me at the moment.  Alone most of the time, working to find work, waiting for college to start so it can finish, and still trying to make time to date (or find women to date in this particular case).  I have books I would love to read.  I have a ring I still would like to sell.  I have girls that live too far away to pursue so I have to be patient and see what happens there.  But all in all, I am still alive, healthy, and really without debt and financially stable for the situation I am in.  If there is a plan, I would love to see it because right now I am just doing what I can on what I can see that is in front of me but to be honest... There really isn't much.  But who knows?  Maybe something will fall into my lap.  Here is to hoping and praying for it!  And before I forget to mention it, yes... The goatee is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment