Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thanksgiving Break

So far I am not entirely convinced that California is the greatest place on earth. It is nice but I am glad I have a week to still get used to it. Everyone I have met so far are all really nice and inviting but I just have to get used to the rest of the culture. You know how everywhere you go just has a certain feel to it? I don't know what it is but something about California would just need a lot of getting used to for me. It just wouldn't be a place where I feel like I could live there. It is definitely a place where I could visit and stuff but so far it just isn't my style. I can't really put it into words. People have their own tastes and things they enjoy and I am going to be hundred percent honest that I like everybody... my roommate, his girlfriend, his family, their family, friends, etc. It isn't that it is just something else but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it is just the looming finals that I can't get out of my mind, the papers I have yet to write for my English class, my Instrumentation class, etc. We will see if things change by the time the week is over. I hope they do because it would be nice to intern in California or go to graduate school here... things are all still up in the air.

Sunday was good as always! Classes went well and I was able to help out a bit in one of the classes I was in. There was a convert in our Priesthood class who is really gun-ho but he needed a little instruction. I didn't have a reference for everything I believe but I do have a testimony and I know that I try to live by example and I know that the missionaries have been a good example for him. We were talking about Signs of the Second Coming and somehow that became a lesson about making sure we have a strong testimony because of the parable of the Ten Virgins and Christ being the bridegroom. The Ten Virgins represent the members of the Church of Christ. Oil can't represent having a testimony of the Savior because they are all looking forward to His Coming. Oil is how valiant we are in our testimonies. We all strive to have a temple recommend and try to attend the temple. But how many of us come worthy and prepared with questions? We do our best to live the commandments, but do we understand why we have them in the first place? God gives us this life to help us develop and become what we are in the first place, His children. Commandments are a way for God to teach us to realize our divine potential by giving us the habits that will perfect us. Any correction that we receive is really the Lord allowing us the time we need to change and grow. There is a lot I hoped to portray to this excited youngster in the gospel but I hope by testifying by the Spirit, I may have been guided in my words and that he felt and understood what I was trying to say. Hopefully I was a good instrument in the Lord's hands. Anyways, back to the vacation I am trying to enjoy... wish me luck in trying to get done everything I need to so I can really relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment