Sunday, September 22, 2013

Masks and Interdependence

I had a deep conversation tonight with a girl about how do we find ourselves through losing ourselves and what is the relationship between self-reliance and independence. These are some really interesting concepts with this and she made a comment after our conversation that we both wish we had recorded what we both had said because it was almost poetic. But I feel like the gist what we talked about could be both represented in words as well as songs so I found a song for each subject that would represent it in a small way.



The idea behind these are that many times we don't understand people because we haven't yet taken the time to get to know them. Sometimes we don't reach out to them or they don't reach out to us. No matter the reason, every person you meet is special. They are children of our Heavenly Father. They have a divine inheritance and potential. Sometimes this idea gets skewed and it all feels out of reach - We see where we are and where we want to be and the gap that is there can seem so large that it is pointless to keep trying.

This perception isn't incorrect but it still isn't right. We aren't realizing the amount that the Savior helps and strengthens us. Christ will always be able to help us overcome what we are facing. My faith is not easy. It asks so much of me that in all reality I know I will never be able to do all of it and I will always fall short. If I tried to do things completely on my own, I would be doomed to fail. It isn't wrong wanting to be self-reliant. But we can't let our pride get in the way and never ask for help. If we didn't need help, then the Redeemer would never have been sent down to save us.

For a lot of people, we want to help others but feel like we are unable to until we have helped ourselves. Most of the time, God blesses us so we can be angels helping the people around us. We do not want to be dependent on others but we have to realize that we can't succeed if we are completely independent either. Interdependence is an idea that although we do things on our own, we still work together. We have our own specific strengths and weaknesses that are personal to us and so we can work together to help each other when we fall short.

The most troubling thing is when we do fall short, we may want to put on a mask and pretend it didn't happen. Whether to hide our guilt, our shame, our sin, or embarrassment, the thing that can help us the most is to work to be forgiven as soon as possible... To repent, to forgive, and to forget. The real blessing behind the Atonement is to learn from our mistakes and then to let them go. It is as simple as that but just because it is simple does not mean that it is easy.
 10 Now, as I said concerning the holy order, or this high priesthood, there were many who were ordained and became high priests of God; and it was on account of their exceeding faith and repentance, and their righteousness before God, they choosing to repent and work righteousness rather than to perish;
11 Therefore they were called after this holy order, and were sanctified, and their garments were washed white through the blood of the Lamb.
 12 Now they, after being sanctified by the Holy Ghost, having their garments made white, being pure and spotless before God, could not look upon sin save it were with abhorrence; and there were many, exceedingly great many, who were made pure and entered into the rest of the Lord their God. (Alma 13:10-12) 
The difference between myself and those people is that they abhorred sin. There are times that I admit that I jealous of the "freedom" people have being able to choose to do those things. There are movies that I wish I could go see and I will never see. There are parties that I wish I could go to but never will. I am not yet at the point that I am disgusted at the sight of sin. So how can I change my desires?
28 But that ye would humble yourselves before the Lord, and call on his holy name, and watch and pray continually, that ye may not be tempted above that which ye can bear, and thus be led by the Holy Spirit, becoming humble, meek, submissive, patient, full of love and all long-suffering;
29 Having faith on the Lord; having a hope that ye shall receive eternal life; having the love of God always in your hearts, that ye may be lifted up at the last day and enter into his rest. (Alma 13:28-29)
 Prayer, listening and following the Holy Ghost, and acting in faith and love will help change my nature. It is always the little things that have the greatest effect in our lives because of the habits we form. I know these are only a few of the ways I need to improve and I need to make more time for it in my life. I pray that all of us be honest with ourselves and work on the things that are making us fall short because it would be really sad if we only worry about the things that matter in this life and we forget the things that matter most.

No comments:

Post a Comment