Monday, July 15, 2013

Me, Myself, and I

Everyone has gifts that are special and unique to them. They are the qualities that make them different than anybody else. Some people it can be the challenges that they deal with on a day to day basis. I have a friend who is handicapped and yet he takes things on like a champ. Others it can be their personality or specific mannerisms that can help them be picked out of a crowd. Typically I am good judge of character and I can see things that make people special and I am able to help them accent those characteristics and help others succeed. However, it is hard for me to do that in a mirror.


I know we are all our own toughest critics and we are the only ones that know the desires of our hearts. I hate how my weaknesses seem so blaringly obvious to me and sometimes I feel like they are inescapable. Typically I am an optimistic person and the other day I was catching up with friends. It started to get late. I needed to head home. As I was heading out the door, I started to join a conversation that I am very passionate about: relationships and dating. At the end of the conversation, I left feeling like I had made those present very awkward, defensive, and even possibly offended by what I said. The comment that helped me realize my mistake from a close friend who as I gave her a hug, said that I shouldn't be so cynical. That one reply hit me like a ton of bricks in the face.

If there is something I don't feel like I am, it would be cynical. So what made me respond that way? What pushed me to say the things that I did? Then I realized it. Fear.

I am afraid of being alone.

Some people understand me. I can write for hours and I am a deep thinker. I am perfectly fine going to a movie theater to see a movie by myself. I love to go for unplanned drives and long walks to clear my head and feel like I am going somewhere. I like to take time to talk with God and try to determine my standing before my Maker. I feel uncomfortable in big crowds and at parties but I like to have fun. And as independent and carefree and don't-care-what-anyone-else-thinks persona I put off, at the end of the day that bravado or courage or whatever it is still doesn't help me feel any less alone. And more than that, I don't care what everyone thinks of me. But what I don't think people understand is that I do care about what a few people think of me. I never want to feel invisible like I used to feel in high school. I literally would sometimes feel as if I would go completely unnoticed. I know that idea was probably only a feeling and not a reality but that feeling was real and so it affected my perspective. I never want to feel that way again.

The only safeguard I have is the Holy Spirit. Sometimes I will try and plan things and maybe they will work out. At other times, they only work out part way. I can't remember how many trips I have planned where no one seemed to want to go and then later on, I found that they did want to but I was just not invited. I can't really accurately convey or express the emotions or feelings that created inside of me of worthlessness, un-wanting, and exclusion. But thank God, it wasn't the case all of the time. God could always be my sanctuary. I could always turn to Him. Still, it is hard to fill a life with Him in all aspects and there are certain ones where you need someone who can physically be there.

I don't know why I care so much. I don't know why I try to put myself in other people's shoes in order to better understand their perspective so I can better help and love them. Life and my parents have been great teachers. I hope to find someone some day that will care enough about my needs and wants as I will try to do for theirs. I hope they will protect and safeguard the physical nature of our relationship as I will try to do the same for the emotional and relational nature of it. I want my wife to not only trust me with her safety and well-being but with her heart, her thoughts, and her dreams. I want her to feel open in discussing her innermost feelings with me because she knows I will keep them safe. Until I find her however, I will have to settle with a relationship with myself and I don't know but there might be a reason for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment