Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Finding Joy in the Journey

Last week on my day off from work, I went to Salt Lake to check out apartments to move to after the summer was over in anticipation for Fall and Winter semesters at the U of U. I probably ended up checking out about 20 different apartments that I had found and researched that morning. It was a long day to say the least. But instead of driving home when I was done to go spend time with roommates and friends in Provo I went to a park instead.
 
A few weeks earlier I had met a gorgeous girl at this park and had an awesome night getting to know her. All we had done was talk and walk around the park and it was super relaxing and a lot of fun. In fact, I was supposed to see her again that night but plans weren't solid to begin with and we were kind of playing it by ear so I didn't know what to expect. Anyways, I ended up following my feet back to the same park we had first met at. It was still pretty light outside for being 8:00 or 9:00 at night. So I decided to walk up a nearby hill, lay down on the grass and just look at the clouds. I was in slacks and a black button up dress shirt but who cares, it was a little wet grass.
 

So there I waited for a call or a text that would never come. I just laid on that hill looking up at the sky wondering what it would be like to have gravity flipped, pulled off of that hill, and go falling up to the clouds above. I imagined that I wasn't laying on the ground but on the ceiling of my room with the white fluffy floor far beneath my feet. I wondered what it would be like to fly among them and just feel the wisps on my face and through my fingers. Having the clouds condense into water droplets like a dew on my fingertips. Then I came back down to earth and saw how late it was getting.

To give this girl another chance, I walked over to a nearby ball field and watched a few local high schools play a baseball game. It was fun to feel the energy and watch the coaches and players strategize and try to get into each other's heads. I forgot how much fun it was to be in the atmosphere of a ballpark. Baseball is like golf, unless you love it then it can be pretty boring to watch or even play. I love both when it comes to golf but with baseball I love to be a spectator and not so much a player. The sound of the umpire and the voices from the dugouts and the stands, the smack of the pitch landing in the catcher's glove, the crack of the bat on a line drive, the sudden energy when a runner clears first and races to second base. The sounds of the game, the feel of the stands, the lights illuminating the field... It is so nostalgic and brings back memories of Fenway from when I was younger.


So the girl never called and she never came. So what. I walked among angels. I cheered on the underdogs from the stands. I know life continually moves onward and always is pushing me forward but I hope that along the way, I never grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment