Saturday, March 31, 2012

Expect To Be Surprised

Something that I have always heard is expect the unexpected. That really doesn't make much sense to me... I know that myself, I am a planner. I try to plan for every possible situation that I could be faced with, look at every option, weigh the costs and the risks and try to shoot for the best possible situation. I also on a semi-related-yet-unrelated note, love to compare my life to some of my favorite movies, Dan in Real Life for example. I want to pull two memorable quotes from that movie quickly and then try to explain how I feel like they describe my life currently.

The first quote comes from a part in the story where the two romantics first meet in a book store. Our hero asks casually while pretending to work at the store and just trying to be helpful to a beautiful woman, what she is looking for at the moment and this was her response:

"I'm looking for a book... something that can help me deal with what might be an awkward situation. Something funny might be nice, but not necessarily big, 'ha, ha, ha,' 'laugh, laugh, laugh' funny, and certainly not make-fun-of-other-people funny but rather something human-funny. And, uh, if it could uh, sneak up on you, surprise you, and at the same time make you think that what you thought wasn't only right, in a wrong kind of way, but when you're wrong, there's a certain rightness in your wrongness... Well, what I mean is, more importantly, I'm looking to be swept up! And at the same time, not. "

"Well, you rarely find all that in one book."

When I first met Tatiana it was what would have looked like pure happenstance, a miracle, fate... a lot of things lined up perfectly in such a way that we found each other in all places... Provo, Utah. Needless to say, I was this nice guy who met a beautiful woman who like this... wasn't really looking for love but found it in the most unusual of places. Now let me set the stage a little bit better. I am not your typical guy. I am good listener. I am a romantic. I even enjoy the occasional chick flick or two... or three. Sometimes I can come on a little strong at times because I have learned that it is better to be open with yourself and your feelings rather than try to be something that you are not. I could never do that. I could never pretend to play the part of the uninterested jerk. And I found that my openness can sometimes be a turn off for a lot of people because they don't understand and they would prefer someone who likes to take their time and play the game. So I needed someone special who could find that "certain rightness in [my] wrongness." To put it bluntly, I am Dan in real life and Tatiana is my Marie. I found everything I was looking for in one person and it happens to be her.

The things is we are both goofy and fun. We are understanding and caring. And I have realized more and more that even though sometimes our families may not approve because of various situations or past relationships or whatever the reason may be... stretching to find connections to the movie... but I know that we are meant to be together and in time they can all come around. I found someone that I can be myself with and loves me as much as I love her. And all the things that I thought I wouldn't be able to find in one complete package... well, it is her. I found a spiritual giant that has the heart of child... imaginative and creative, trusting and loyal, where love is simple and pure. She is absolutely amazing and everyone who meets her likes her instantly. I wonder sometimes how I could have been the one that caught her eye. However I love how the movie ends so here are the final lines:

"I want to break from my usual format and talk to you about the subject of plans. Not so much my plan for this column, but life plans, and how we all make them. And how we hope that our kids make good, smart, safe plans of their own. But if we're really honest with ourselves, our plans usually don't work out as we had hoped. So instead of asking our young people "What are you plans? What do you plan to do with your life?" maybe we should tell them this: Plan to be surprised."

If I do get the great blessing to have children, that would probably be the best way I could describe how I met their mother. We all have plans in life and suddenly you meet someone that changes all of them and helps you see how you were preparing yourself to settle for less than what you always wanted. You suddenly find yourself noticing that this person can make everything in life no matter how hard it seems at the time or how difficult be easy and insignificant, that everything is better because you are with them or you have so many memories that you can look back on that make you smile, that their happiness is more important to you than your own. The only word that you can really describe it all with is "Love."

I can say that I had plans... I wanted to get married to some Mormon girl that I met at BYU, we would instantly fall in love and all the money I had saved would help us to have a family, we would be married in the temple, move back to the east coast, I would start my career and I would come home to a loving and caring wife and many beautiful children. There is more to life than the picket fence. I fell for someone better than that... someone with ambition, passion, goals and dreams, someone that I can just talk to for hours on end and never get tired of listening to her thoughts and feelings. I get the feeling that all that money I had saved for a family or possibly a honeymoon to Bora Bora will end up going to getting my dream girl back to America so that she and I can find new adventures to pursue but I guess that is the adventure... starting a life together that we can call our own. Not everything is perfect and stuff comes up all the time that is another "surprise" to what plans we have made for our future, but that is part of what makes it perfect. What is a fairy tale without a little drama, ya know?


In the end, she is everything that I want and need and we are just crazy about each other so because of that, I am just excited to see how this love story pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment