Sunday, September 19, 2010

It's cold. Can we cuddle?

I thought it was a good idea, and I swear that I had everything planned out to a tee. We were going to go out to the canyons and watch a movie with a big group of people and I had asked a bunch of people to go, girls and guys. I even had a date. Then life began to set in. If you invite girls, people, to anything remember the 10% rule. Similar to tithing, you only need to worry about 10%, in this case it is the number of people you invited. The rest will be lame and not come. So in any case, out of all the people I talked to, pretty much only my roommate came. Otherwise, everyone else were from a different group. So my plan of bringing a blanket was a bust minus the fact that now we got to sit on it instead of using it properly.

We get up there and my friend Spencer, which the party was his idea, couldn't figure out how to set up the sheet for the projector. He and I put our heads together and with a little "magic" it was up and ready to go. Now this is Utah, so at nights the desert gets cold so the canyon also has that same wonderful feature. I had lent out my blanket to someone else, and I will be honest it was getting a little cold. The girl in front of me wasn't fairing much better. While the rest of her friends were all cuddling up together she sat alone. I tried thinking of a million ways to put it to her and the best option I could come up with was just two simple statements of honest truth: "It's cold. Can we cuddle?" Body heat is a wonderful thing, but I simply couldn't do that to a complete stranger. Instead I stood up, walked around a bit, let the blood start flowing again, that kind of thing. And I realized something interesting about myself.

I know that I am a huge movie junkie. I have known that for years. Still, I am out in a canyon on a beautiful starry night, there are fires going, a stream behind us. And the only thing I can think that I really want to do is go explore. I want to walk around, look at the stars, listen to the water rush by. It is almost like it is calling to me! I definitely think the apostles have it right. Don't take a girl on a date to a movie, canyon or movie theater, it doesn't matter. It isn't social. It is just plain stupid. The end of the story you wonder? Well, lucky me, my wanderings were able to prepare me for the unexpected. I ended up not being in the middle of the sprinklers when they decided to come on. What a wonderful surprise! It was a fun and interesting night with a lot of laughs but it was so cold... You'd think everyone would want to cuddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment