Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Creativity Project

So I have still been running thoughts through my head for my project for my History of Creativity class and I think I have some real good ones! Still I need feedback, so please comment on these and give me a little picture of what your thoughts and impressions are. In simplest terms, the project is for us to creatively display part of history that we will learn about (from recorded history to about the time of the crusades) in some sort of small modern application.

My first thought was inspired from "Timeline" by Michael Crichton. It got made into a movie which was pretty good but not surprisingly did not live up to the novel. Anyways, my idea is almost like the game on Sesame Street of which object is not like the others, which one does not belong. We have been reading about Egypt and China, how they were highly isolated civilizations but also highly creative. What if I took an aspect of each culture that was unique to that civilization and transplanted it into the other? What would be the affects of that event? How would it change the interactions and technology? Seems like it would be hard to do, to theorize and present the idea but it could still be done.

Second thought was involving the Golden Mean. It is a mathematical ratio that is used in geometry and architecture and even in sculptures and the Mona Lisa. I was thinking of making my own Mona Lisa... painting or sketching of a scene or portrait of someone involving these mathematical ratios but then copying the same painting and using a highlighter or some other fashion to show the ratios in the art... perhaps cutting out the different areas and stacking them three dimensionally out of the plane of the art so they become more obvious.

Third, I go to a nice university in the hills of Utah called Brigham Young University. I like it. It has been working for me so far, but universities were developed and used in Athens, Greece. They were used to brainstorm different ideas and discuss the philosophies of the day. We do the same thing here. I figure if I could make a presentation (possibly movie) of my teachers (representing some of the great minds like Socrates, Plato, Pythagoras, Homer, etc), talking about the doctrines that we teach today and comparing it to the ideas they had back in Ancient Greece. Kind of a display of the transition of creative thought through time.

Lastly, I really enjoyed reading Aesop's Fables when I was a kid. They were short stories that taught moral messages, which were highly memorable. I figure that I could do something similar except I could use things I have learned in my own life, or possibly even stories that we read in the weekly Police Beat here at BYU. Same idea, different stories, new time... I would entitle it: Aesop's Foibles.

Again, I have to start being decisive and choosing one of these to begin working on, so if I could get input back that would be fantastic. Thanks again and wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the last two ideas. I think they would both fit every aspect of the project. I think making a movie of your teachers would be a lot more entertaining than just a paper about it! You could also add a compare and contrast aspect to it. I don't know that might be too much work. And I just think the last one is hilarious! It would be so funny especially with the police beat! Great ideas! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete