Saturday, May 8, 2010

Part of the Problem

Tonight I had to say something tough to a group of girls. My sister had friends over and they needed my help with something and as I was working on it, they kept talking. These girls are young. They are at most 15 years old if not younger. One of them was talking about how awkward it was for her when her friend was making out with her boyfriend. Awkward for her? How about awkward for me! When they noticed that I had heard them, they laughed and then I asked a couple of questions trying to find out more about the situation and so they asked a couple back. I wish I could have said more…

Long story short, I told them that I had not kissed a girl until I was in college. They were dumbfounded. I said that I didn’t want to kiss someone just for fun but because I wanted it to mean something. At most, besides the long faces of utter shock, I got a fist pump from the audience. The sad thing was that there was so much more I wanted to say to them. I wanted to tell them not to give away something that they couldn’t get back. I wanted them to know how important it really is. That it isn’t just a game that we play. Every part matters. What does a kiss mean? Can someone even appreciate it when all they do is make out? What is the point? And what do you do after that loses its flavor?

I wanted to tell them that they needed to be patient. They will meet someone who truly loves them for who they are and that they shouldn’t just throw what is most precious away. For in all honesty, at this point in their life, they might think they love someone but they have to beware that they are truly being loved in return. They have to be aware that they are not just being used for someone else’s gratification. But I could not bring myself to say these things. I feel that would have been hypocritical.

No comments:

Post a Comment