Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Old Friends, New Friends... Friends

One of the great pleasures in my life is being able to create and strengthen relationships. You ever wonder why we measure time from sunrise to sundown, rotations of the earth, rotations around the sun, and our years centered round the birth and death of the Savior Jesus Christ? I guess we need in our pursuit to comprehend things, need something to compare things to in order to understand ideas such as time itself. And I figure if we measure time by dividing up the space between events in history and in our days, then the relationships I foster make better use of my time than waiting for the next thing to happen in my life.

I realized that the greatest gift that I can have or give is building a friendship with a complete stranger. Sometimes it surprises me when it feels like that friendship has already lasted a lifetime, because in all honesty, who knows? I may have already had such a relationship with them before. The point is that it is being able to share memories, laugh and joke, tease and praise, love and listen, and be able to completely open up yourself to another person that it naturally just fills your heart and your soul with joy. I do have my own nervous moments when I am trying to open up or trying to be comfortable with people, but I know that their choices and their opinions are their own and I cannot make them. I can only be myself and love them no matter what they choose to do. If I am able to do this, there is no fear. So whether it is catching up with an old friend, a relative, or even an acquaintance, it doesn't matter. Just like with any other circumstance, the choices you make allow you to choose how to see things. Old friends... New friends... We are all just friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment