Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Forgiveness Flour

When I went to the door, at the whisper of
Knocking, I saw Simeon Gartner's daughter,
Kathleen, standing there, in her shawl and her
Shame, sent to ask "Forgiveness Flour" for her
Bread. "Forgiveness Flour," we call it in our
Corner. If one has erred, one is sent to ask
For flour of his neighbors. If they loan it to
Him, that means he can stay, but if they
Refuse, he had best take himself off. I looked
At Kathleen... what a jewel of a daughter,
Though not much like her father, more's the
Pity. "I'll give you flour," I said, and went to
Measure it. Measuring was the rub. If I gave
Too much, neighbors would think I made sin
Easy, but if I gave too little, they would label
Me "close." While I stood measuring, Joel, my
Husband came in from the mill, a great bag of
Flour on his shoulder, and seeing her there,
Shrinking in the doorway, he tossed the bag at
Her feet. "Here, take all of it." And so she
Had flour enough for many loaves, while I
Stood measuring. -Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment