Friday, July 9, 2010

Wants and Needs

There is a real difference between what we call wants and needs. I find this fascinating because many times we confuse the two so readily, that we can't recognize which is which. I need to pay for college and so this summer I work my butt off and eventually my desire or wanting to have fun and relax becomes a need after pulling 70 hour weeks. But sometimes what we want and what we think we need we can not have. What we can have or what we need is already inside us just needing to be found. I want to love and be loved. I want peace and acceptance. I want... I need these things. Whether these complement us or clash, a ying or a yang, in turn they complete us. They are a way for us to see into our souls.

We may try to define or prioritize our lives in such a way as this, I think we can really just label it all as Desire. The smiles that leave us breathless, the grin that brings a blush, or the person that sees us as geniuses but accepts us when we play the part of the fool. We may think we stand alone, but what we do is stand together. All the love, acceptance, and ability to be me is already mine. With a little patience, confidence, and persistance to live what I know to be true principles, what really is most important to me will always be here, standing right beside me. And again the only thing that can stop me is me, so I need to exercise a little self-control and in the end I will get exactly what I want and need, all that I desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment