Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Public Speaking Presentations

I have posted my first presentation in this class to my blog weeks earlier but now that the semester is coming to a close I figured I would post my other two presentations. They aren't the best presentations sadly but still it shows the kinds of presentations we are asked to perform in our program. In an effort to consolidate those videos so they are all in one place, I will again post that first presentation directly below.


The first presentation was focused on an open topic about our passions. My passion was the value of people. The second and third presentations were again open topics. My second presentation was a business proposal that could be for a fictional company, a previous employer, or even a future situation. I decided to take a particular spin on the idea and I created a business proposal that would be in the present. I was going to pitch to my classmates a brand new study trip destination to add to the University of Utah's current portfolio. Since the Career Management Center failed to attend my presentation when invited, I doubt that any of my ideas or parts of my proposal will be implemented.


Part of this process was taking data from the college itself, analyzing them, and then creating graphics that would tell the story of how the current process worked and how it could be improved. I had a variety of different ideas and procedures that the college could employ to increase the engagement of the students. Whether it was having students source companies to visit at the various locations to selecting specific companies and industries that they would want to visit rather than only applying to the location in general.



The last presentation had to be a ceremonial speech in some regard. I choose to use this as a venue to give tribute rather than an eulogy for my grandfather who passed away about 10 years ago. The hardest part of this particular project was attempting to fit aspects or lessons that could be gleaned from his life and relate them in a meaningful way to my classmates. Even harder than that was attempting to accomplish that in a mere 3 to 3.5 minutes. This was the time frame for all of my presentations. However, the emotional connection I had with this particular topic made this last presentation extremely hard because I wanted to go off point when I was unable to.


For those of you who do not know my grandfather or the kind of man he was, I hope that I am a good representative of what he might have been like. I aspire to live in his footsteps in the way that I treat the people around me and how I communicate with them. I have a long way to go but I feel like I am at least generally headed in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment