Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Tourist

Sometimes we can find certain actors that hit us just right. At the moment, no one really does it for me or gives as good of a performance as Johnny Depp. I will definitely admit at times he can be strange for lack of better words, but he is without a doubt memorable. I didn't love him as Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Edward Scissorhands was overall very odd. And I never got around to seeing Sweeny Todd or Sleepy Hollow. However, he does star in quite a few of my favorite movies, including: Alice in Wonderland, Finding Neverland, Pirates and the Caribbean, and I am sure I will love Rango when I eventually end up seeing it. The movie I watched tonight is The Tourist. Not only does he play a highly convincing character but his ability to have chemistry with Angelina Jolie was amazing. I loved it. I have to say that many of these movies however different they may be are somehow connected to different memories of mine.

Whether it was my relationship with my grandfather, childhood memories by myself or with my family, The Tourist however was different because it was able to pull on where I feel I am in my life right now. I feel like at times, in order to get close to the people I care about I have to become who they want me to become. There is no clear way to come out and tell people how you feel. Yet, this is a part of the romance... part of the process. Angelina Jolie's character Elise Ward says it the best as she is explaining what love is,

"It's the Roman God, Janus. My mother gave it to me when I was little. She wanted to teach me that people have two sides. A good side, a bad side, a past, a future. And that we must embrace both in someone we love. And I tried..."

"What's he like?"

"He's... different, from anybody I know..."

People don't always love who they think they know or what they judge a person to be from their outward appearance or behavior. We have assumptions, preconceived notions, and we feel like from those things we know and understand someone when we really don't. The way we treat one another can be surprising at times. In fact, some people from my experience may treat friends or complete strangers better then their own family members or even themselves. Look at the media for example. The majority of entertainment involves or is centered about some sort of sarcasm, contention, conflict, fight, or other types of negativity or sinful activity. It is hard to find many shows that are uplifting in nature though there are still a few left. I guess what I am trying to get at, if I am going to make these spiritual is even if we all appear to be strangers in this thing called life, yet we walk the same road, feel the same pain, can't we at least share the same joy? Can't we say kind words to each other? There are more ways to be good than bad, so how about we just be good and love one another. I love Mormon Messages because here is a touching, true to life example.

No comments:

Post a Comment